For safe and efficient data centre cooling
Cooling of IT equipment in data centres is an increasing challenge for operators and design engineers. Power management is the major challenge, with energy consumption and heat loads increasing in step with the server density. Meeting these challenges is essential for ensuring the safety and availability of the data.
Other important factors are:
- Cost optimization: cooling can be up to 50% of the overall energy cost in a data centre
- Precise humidity control and better control of static electricity
- Minimum start-up current for situations where the power grid is sensitive to load, reduced downtime, and increased lifetime of the overall system
Why choose our variable speed compressors for process cooling?
The first major benefit is the overall energy saving.
Other benefits include:
- Flexibility with combined compressor and free cooling
- Quick and smooth adaptation to varying loads; Danfoss inverter technology modulates cooling between 25 and 100%, saving substantial amounts of energy, especially in part-load operation. Experience shows that savings of up to 50% can be achieved in energy consumption. This significantly reduces the PUE values (ratio of power supplied to the data centre divided by power consumed by the IT infrastructure) (see Figure 1).
Figure 1: Potential energy saving in a packaged unit equipped with a single inverter compressor compared with a unit equipped with a fixed-speed compressor.
- Actual energy efficiency improvements will vary depending on the data centre design and the configuration of the cooling systems. However, recent experience has shown that installing a VSH variable speed compressor solution into a unit previously using traditional On-Off compressors can reduce the annual energy consumption of the cooling unit by as much as 50%. Danfoss inverter scroll compressors are the most energy-efficient solutions available on the market today.
- Stable and precise temperature control, with very consistent and stepless adaptation to required cooling load. Whatever the variation in ambient temperature or outside temperature, the system can maintain a set point temperature to within ±0.2°C thanks to the capacity modulation system (see below figures).
- Reduced noise under partial load conditions facilitates the integration of the unit in the surrounding.
- Reduced start-up current is an additional benefit with variable speed technologies, since the compressor rarely needs to start at full load, and since the Danfoss inverter has a very soft start with very low in-rush current. This benefit solves the problems that arise in areas where electric power is unstable, avoiding a peak in demand.
Reciprocating inverter - VTZ
Danfoss reciprocating inverter compressors avoid oversized and short cycling systems. The compressor automatically adapts to the current load. By combining an efficient Danfoss Maneurop® reciprocating compressor with a Danfoss Drive, the company provides an innovative and intelligent package that utilizes variable-speed technology to ensure superior efficiency across the entire operating range for precision cooling.
Delivering Smart Indoor Comfort to the world’s 1st Solar Powered Airport
Airports globally have evolved from just being docking stations for the flights to becoming an avenue that houses the best experiences a traveler can get. From retail stores to restaurants, from lounges to culture showcase centers, every new airport today is pushing the standard on experiences. But, delivering these uber experiences alongside a thermal comfort inside the airport expends a lot of energy. With close to 100 million passengers travelling through domestic routes every day in India and with the number exponentially increasing, curating a comfortable experience for the guests can be a challenge.
Driving the Metropolis with an Energy-Efficient Metro
Danfoss offered its energy efficient solutions to Delhi Metro to save energy without compromising on the indoor comfort and convenience of its commuters and is committed to doing so in future. Driven by a deep application expertise and future-facing technologies, Danfoss is poised to support the metro to be energy-efficient and to yield high performance, and thereby engineering tomorrow’s India, today.
Engineering the precise indoor comfort for the better movie experience
Learn how Danfoss offered a solution for a plug-and-play, maintenance-free HVAC system which is convenient and efficient, and delivers precise temperatures, helping PVR deliver a truly world-class movie-watching experience to its customers.
Denmark's new climate-friendly hospitality giant depends on Turbocor® oil-free chiller
The new Alsik hotel in Southern Denmark sets a higher standard in energy-efficiency and is built to reach 76% CO₂-neutrality. A main contributor is the 900-kW chillers by Clint (a company of G.I. Industrial Holding) which features award-winning Danfoss Turbocor oil-free compressors.
Oil-free compressors maintain consistent performance over time
Danfoss conducted a study to see how long term operation affected performance on Danfoss Turbocor® compressors. The results showed that oil-free, magnetic bearing compressors maintained consistent performance even after 10+ years of operation.